Blockchain: Technologies and Applications for Business
About the Program
During this online journey, you'll connect with Berkeley's faculty, industry leaders, and peers from every corner of the globe, taking a deep dive into the applications of blockchain technology for business and society. Taking a case-based approach featuring use cases from finance, healthcare, supply chain management, and consumer products, you'll collaborate through moderated discussion boards and join the faculty for live interviews with industry leaders, including Q&A. In addition, there are live office hours to supplement the live and recorded sessions.
Two months in total, 4-6 hours per week
The Blockchain: Technologies and Applications for Business program curriculum covers the following topics:
- What is blockchain technology and where did it come from?
- Who owns, manages, and governs blockchain and cryptocurrencies?
- What are the broad implications for business, society, and government?
- Overview of the more than 1,000 cryptocurrencies including Bitcoin and Ripple
- What are the major cryptocurrencies in the global market and what makes one more secure, popular, or volatile?
- What exchanges are out there for rating, trading, and liquidity?
- Use cases on a variety of blockchain applications including supply chain, healthcare, consumer, and social impact
- Learn how companies can use new technologies such as blockchain to enter new markets or turn around a flagging business
- Overview of the developing blockchain ecosystem from service providers to initial coin offerings
- Insights for entrepreneurs and investors on the market and how it's evolving
- Identifying new opportunities in the blockchain ecosystem
- Latest regulatory and policy developments and governance of blockchain in major economies
- Smart contracts and why they're increasing in popularity for a variety of applications
- How blockchain can be used for massive social good, including use cases of BitPesa and Rippleworks
- Which sectors are seeing the greatest penetration and successes?
- Risks associated with adopting new technologies such as blockchain, including hacking
- Privacy considerations around the blockchain
- Trends to keep your eye on
- Ways to apply these emerging technologies to your organization through a final capstone project
- Engage with peers to learn how others are using blockchain
Download the program topics
Who It's For
Progressive leaders in both the public and private sectors that need to understand what new digital technologies such as blockchain can and can’t do for their organizations. Representative roles and industries that can benefit include:
- Business/technology strategists and consultants
- Entrepreneurs who are interested in launching new ventures relating to blockchain or cryptocurrencies
- Financial and banking professionals, including those in risk management and regulatory roles
- Government officials, policy makers, and civil servants from around the globe, as this program takes a truly global perspective
- Insurance and real estate professionals
- Investors who want to understand the developing blockchain ecosystem to inform investment decisions
- IT and security professionals
- Supply chain management professionals
- World-renowned Berkeley Haas and Executive Education Faculty
- Video lectures from Berkeley Haas faculty
- Live, interactive webinars (also available as recordings)
- Peer discussions and exercises
- Case Studies
- Exclusive networking opportunities
- Access to the program alumni community
- Blockchain: Technologies and Applications for Business Certificate of Completion
A UC Berkeley Certificate of Business Excellence gives individuals the opportunity to create a personal plan of study structured by our four academic pillars. Participants will earn a mark of distinction with certification from a world-class university, and enjoy the flexibility of completing the program in up to three years.