Chief Technology Officer
Chief Technology Officer
The Chief Technology Officer program is designed for experienced participants in a technology function to step into senior management roles in their career. Through a unique mixture of theory, practical teaching methods, and practitioner interactions, this program delivers the hands-on experience and skills necessary to make that transition.
The program enables participants to take on a more strategic view of their organization's technology architecture and business landscape, enhance their business acumen, develop initiatives to lead the technology transformation, and implement the change management towards organizational success. The CTO program provides experiences participants who have already established a decision-making IT role, the hands-on knowledge, and experience necessary to step up in their career.
Please note: the end date of the program may be revised to another date in March 2022.
The Berkeley CTO program delivers learning that will take your technology career to the next level. You will learn through lectures by faculty experts and specialists, case studies, group and individual exercises, and panel discussions with global leaders. The curriculum includes three core modules. Additionally, you can choose to specialize in specific areas by selecting two electives from a range of topical modules in line with your learning and career goals. The program culminates with a Capstone Strategy Project in which you will develop a roadmap for your organization’s technology strategy—either individually or as part of a team.
- Enterprise Technology Architecture
- Connecting IT to Business Strategy
- IT Strategy Framework
- IT Strategy Processes
- AI & ML: Implications to Enterprise
- Technology Strategy
- Frameworks for Technology Transformation
- Building a Digital Business Case
- IoT and Strategy Implications
- Future of Technology Trends and Strategy Implications
- Strategic Applications of Blockchain
- Technology in Existing Businesses
- Future of Blockchain Technology
- Technology Transformation in the Digital Age
- Implementation Methodologies for Complex Technical Projects
- Security and Privacy Concerns— Strategy Considerations
- Technical and Policy Aspects of Security and Surveillance
- Where Cyber Policy and Technology Interact
- Corporate Cybersecurity
- Risk Modeling and Social Engineering
- Privacy, Security, and Technical Systems
During the CTO program, you will be able to choose two areas of specialization by selecting from a range of topical elective modules. These modules have been designed to enhance your technical skills, widen your business lens, and help you take the next step in your career. The elective modules will begin after the core modules are completed and will be covered over 6-8 weeks (each).
- Business Analytics for Leaders: Understand how Big Data can give your organization a strategic advantage in today’s data-driven business environment.
- Leading Complex Projects: Combine the latest research and case studies to get a new perspective on project management tools and techniques.
- Financial Data Analysis: Enhance your ability to interpret and apply financial data to your operational and strategic decision-making processes.
- Data Strategy: Learn how quantitative analytics can be used to refine your organization’s data strategy and innovate business models.
- Digital Marketing Analytics: Develop an end-to-end understanding of using web analytics tools to improve customer acquisition and engagement.
Across the CTO program experience, participants will complete a Capstone Strategy Project (small groups). The project asks participants to take the next steps in their organization’s technology strategy. Group coaching sessions will be led by an industry expert serving in a learning facilitator role and include high-touch discussions, office hours, and review sessions. Participants submit a presentation that covers the following:
- Summarize the opportunity
- List the prioritization criteria for the opportunity. Include, data alignment, cultural alignment, and success metrics
- Submit data inventory
- Use experimental techniques to test your technology strategy
- Assess the strategy implementation and propose next steps
- Participants have the opportunity to present their project outcomes during a final day showcase with faculty
Who It's For
The Berkeley Chief Technology Officer (CTO) Program is ideal for the people in functional, technology solution-focused IT roles who are looking to advance their career - with the goal of moving on and moving up into a company-wide leadership role. Examples of the “level up” title this program will provide the skills for are:
- Chief Information Officer (CIO), Chief Technology Officer (CTO), Chief Innovation Officer (CIO), or Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
- Vice President of Information Technology, Vice President of Product Development, or Vice President of Technology
- General Managers
- Heads of Function
- Heads of Business Units
- Regional Business Heads
- Serve or have served in a senior-level technology executive role
- Have 10+ years of experience
- Have the responsibility of building and deploying technology to serve their enterprises.
Cost & Alumni Benefits
- World-renowned Berkeley Haas and Executive Education Faculty
- Video lectures from Berkeley Haas faculty
- Live, interactive webinars (also available as recordings)
- Peer discussions and exercises
- Case Studies
- Capstone Project
Networking and Events
- Ability to join local alumni chapters or clubs in your region
- Access to a private network of distinguished Berkeley Haas alumni
- Invitation to the annual Berkeley Haas Alumni Conference
- Opportunity to attend select Berkeley Haas and Berkeley Executive Education Networking events opened to the COBE community
- Access to Haas Insights – Latest research and thought leadership from Industry speakers and faculty
- 30% discount on eligible future programs after completion of your Certificate of Excellence in Technology Strategy
- Get an @haas.executivealumni.berkeley.edu email forwarding address
- Public access to the Long Business Library and other university database services (onsite access only)
News and Communication
- One-year complimentary digital subscription to the California Management Review
- Berkeley Haas Alumni newsletter
- Subscribe to the Berkeley Haas Alumni Jobs e-Newsletter with latest job postings from distinguished employers
*All benefits subject to change
Application Deadlines are noted below. Please note that the application fees vary based on the date which you apply.
March 4, 2021 - Application Fee: $300
March 26, 2021 - Application Fee: $400
April 16, 2021- Application Fee: $500
Certificate of Excellence in Technology Strategy
Completion of this program awards a Certificate of Excellence in Technology Strategy.