10-week online program | 6-8 hours per week
Fear of disruption. It's a common feeling across today's business landscape: fear that a more agile company will swoop in with a pure-play digital business model, leveraging data in ways that compel competitive advantage.
Big data is facilitated by technology, but it’s optimized by people, culture, and processes. Investment in big data and related technologies is at an all-time high, yet according to research by New Vantage Partners, less than half of the companies say they are competing on data and analytics (48 percent); only 31 percent have created a data-driven organization, and only 28 percent have forged a data culture. The challenge in realizing the potential of big data lies not in the technology itself, but rather in transforming people, culture, and processes.
Berkeley’s Data Science: Bridging Principles and Practice gives participants with non-technical backgrounds a foundational understanding of what data science and analytics is all about, and many of the most common techniques used to manipulate and analyze data yourself. At the end of this program, you should be able not only to work effectively with data science and analytics teams by speaking their language, but also help guide them to deliver business value to you and the entire organization.
While there are no formal prerequisites such as coding knowledge, having an aptitude for quantitative concepts is important. Review basic mathematical and statistical concepts such as mean, standard deviation, graphs, histograms, and linear and logarithmic functions. To gain true literacy in data science, be prepared to get dirty in the data and embrace some math and stats. We'll fully support you along the way.
Learn to ask the right questions of the data, common techniques for turning data into business insights, and knowing which method to use to answer specific business questions.
Gain tools to effectively communicate with data scientists, learn effective methods for data presentation, and interpret data more effectively by understanding the most common techniques.
Use technology and process to drive a cultural shift where data is leveraged for strategy, decision making, and execution. Learn the capabilities that make successful data science teams.
Features, Dates, & Cost
- World-renowned Berkeley Haas and Executive Education Faculty
- Live weekly 'prep sessions' to introduce any technical concepts for the next module
- Video lectures from Berkeley Haas faculty
- Live, interactive webinars (also available as recordings)
- Peer discussions and exercises
- Case Studies
- Weekly office hours and live assignment reviews
- Two week-long learning labs to focus on hands-on assignments and dig deeper into the data
- Exclusive online network-building opportunities
- Access to the program alumni community
- Data Science: Bridging Principles and Practice Certificate of Completion
Who It's For
This program is for mid-career managers wanting to upskill, C-suite professionals that make impactful organizational decisions and those at an executive level looking to develop their career in a fast-growing field.
- Product Managers, Project Managers, Marketing Managers, and others in managerial positions who are integral to the decision-making process and want to get deeper actionable insights for their work.
- Director, CEO, CTO, CIO, Vice President, Founder, General Managers who are involved with making systematic data-driven decisions and would like to strengthen the application of data-scence in their organizations.
- Executives who are looking for an introduction to Data Science and who want to gain more experience in data analysis.
Want to approach your employer about professional development and request employer support? Read the Employer Payment Assistance Guide.
Certificate of Completion
Signal your professional achievement to your network and get recognized for your completion! Upon successful completion of the program, UC Berkeley Executive Education grants a verified digital certificate of completion to participants that you are encouraged to add to your profiles.
Note: This program results in a digital certificate of completion and is not eligible for degree credit/CEUs. After successful completion of the program, your verified digital certificate will be emailed to you directly. All certificate images are for illustrative purposes only and may be subject to change at the discretion of UC Berkeley Executive Education.
Participants in the Certificate of Business Excellence (COBE) program will earn a mark of distinction from a world-class university, gain access to a powerful global network, and enjoy the flexibility of completing the program in up to three years. A UC Berkeley Certificate of Business Excellence allows individuals to create a personal learning journey structured by our four academic pillars to gain management essentials in Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Strategy, and Finance to drive both personal and organizational development.