Certificate of Business Excellence
Begin your personal learning journey with Berkeley
The Certificate of Business Excellence is an opportunity to acquire and hone new skills, and do it on a timeline that works with your busy schedule. The program is designed for leaders like you - leaders who want to challenge convention. Leaders who want to take intelligent risks and who understand there is always more to learn.
- Gain a mark of distinction from a world-class university
- Achieve a certificate in comprehensive leadership skills across core disciplines
- Flexible schedule with in-person and online offerings
- Build a network of distinguished faculty and colleagues
How It Works
We work closely with you to develop a strategic, tailor-made course of study that will fill your knowledge gaps and allow you to achieve your business and education goals. Participants must complete the following core requirements:
- Register for the Certificate Program
- Complete a personal consultation to discuss your customized learning journey
- Enroll in at least one (1) program from each of our four academic pillars (at your own pace). Both in-person and online programs available for your selection. Please note: each program will only satisfy one pillar requirement.
- Complete a minimum of 17 curriculum days of qualified programs (programs vary between 2-5 days each). *Please refer to the COBE section on each program page for specific curriculum days.
- Complete selected programs within 3 years
Benefits & Resources
Flexible & Personalized Programming
- Choose from a wide variety of programs and topics based on your unique learning needs to achieve a strong general management foundation
- New online programs provide even more flexibility so you can learn from home with classmates from around the globe
- Take the full three years to complete or schedule programs closer together to complete in less time
- Priority for Waitlist Placement: Should an open enrollment program require a waitlist to attend, COBEs enjoy priority status for available seating
Exclusive Berkeley Resources
- Be the first to hear about special promotions for program offerings in our open enrollment portfolio
- 15% discount on future eligible future Berkeley Executive Education programs
- 30% discount on eligible future programs after completion of your Certificate of Business Excellence
- Get an @haas.executivealumni.berkeley.edu email forwarding address
Networking & Events Access
- Ability to join local alumni chapters or clubs in your region
- Join the private, invitation-only Berkeley Haas Alumni LinkedIn group
- Invitations to the annual Berkeley Haas Alumni Conference
- Attend select Berkeley Haas and Berkeley Executive Education Networking events opened to the COBE community
News & Communication
- One-year complimentary digital subscription to the California Management Review
- Receive the Berkeley Haas Alumni emailed newsletter
- Access to Haas Amplified – Latest research and thought leadership from Industry speakers and faculty
- Subscribe to the Berkeley Haas Alumni Jobs e-Newsletter with latest job postings from distinguished employers
*Benefits are subject to change
Academic Pillars & Program List
Sample 3-Year Timeline
|Programs & dates||Curriculum days||Pillars||Year one|
|Product Management StudioOct 4 to Dec 9||4||Year two|
|Negotiation and InfluenceJun 12 to Jun 14||3|
|Financial Data Analysis for LeadersOct 3 to Oct 14||5||Year three|
|Advanced Executive PresenceJan 12 to Jan 14||3|
|Leading Strategy Execution through CultureApr 28 to Apr 29||2|
Individuals pay for each program toward their certificate at the time of registration in that program. This gives participants the option to spread the cost of the certificate over the three-year period.
The average cost of the required minimum of 17 days of programs is $17,000-$31,000 varying by program selections.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I approach my employer for support for reimbursement and time-off?
Here are some tips for how to successfully approach your employer:
Frame your request. Highlight the return on investment by aligning the program with your organization’s strategic objectives and cite examples that potentially connect to your desired outcomes. Remember, all programs after your first one are eligible for a 15% off Executive Education Alumni discount!
Come prepared. Share the program brochure, schedule, and objectives with your manager for a deeper understanding of the program and its relevance for your organization and role. Be sure to download the COBE planner to quickly review your selection and track your plans.
Pace yourself. The program is designed for a 3-year completion so plan to take 2 programs per calendar year.
Let us know how we can help. We’re here to support whether it is to work with your employer or establish a payment structure. Just contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Who should enroll in the Certificate of Business Excellence?
Participants enroll in the Certificate of Business Excellence Program for a variety of reasons. Often, it’s to advance from a current position, transition to a new role or develop the skill set to confront multiple challenges in their role or industry. Students leverage the four pillar, general management blended program to fill in perceived gaps in the executive toolkit and become a stronger leader. Berkeley is the right choice because it provides an immersive learning environment and rigorous research based curriculum with an executive level cohort in the thriving Silicon Valley ecosystem. The 17-day commitment to the four pillar program is an excellent way to gain a mark of distinction from a world-class university.
How much does it cost?
Each Certificate of Business Excellence learning journey is customized for the participant, and prices are subject to change. In general, the average cost of the required 17 days of executive programs is $17,000-$31,000 varying by program selections. There are no upfront or additional fees to register. After your first program, participants are eligible for a 15% off alumni discount on all remaining programs.
MBA vs Certificate of Business Excellence - which is right for me?
Deciding to pursue a master’s degree in business or a business excellence certification is a matter of personal preference. Decision points generally include price point, commitment level, range of topics, accessible resources, classification and available financing options. Contact Jennifer Arvai at +1.510.561.4018 or email@example.com to schedule a 15-minute phone consultation to get started.
Do I have to sign up for the Certificate first or can I wait until after I have taken a program?
You can become part of the Certificate of Business Excellence community with the very first program or join later and apply program hours towards the 17 day requirement. If you already know that you want to pursue a general management curriculum to advance your executive skill set, we can schedule a consult to plan your journey or you can enroll now.